Monday, February 13, 2012

Whiny McWhiny pants

As always, I'm a very sad work in progress.

I say I'm going to do one thing and I get all determinedy and I'm actually very good at sounding full of conviction so that other people actually believe I'm going to succeed and follow through. Then I go and do the exact opposite. I break. I fizzle out. I rebel. Then I feel bad for awhile, but I quickly forgive myself and promise to do better. This has been a pattern for as long as I can remember and it must stop.

Let's just say that both my eating plan and my writing plan failed utterly this past weekend. I am SO scattered right now. I keep making excuses for myself and promising to do better the next day. Meanwhile I have success on no fronts. I'm even being a bit anti-social with my friends in order to banish myself from distractions so I can accomplish these things that I am not doing -- how insane is that?? Also, the main problem is that no matter what I claim I am determined to do, I keep changing my mind. Inconsistency has always been a huge weakness, but this is getting ridiculous and far worse than it used to be. First I'm going to eat in a particular way, then two days later I get bored so I switch to eating a different way. My body gets confused. I lose a few pounds, I gain a few pounds, I get in great running shape, I stop running and get out of shape. Or I'm going to write on this project, but no, this other project is better, more exciting. But no, I should go back to whatever I was doing before. And by the way, I should start over, from the beginning because it's been so long. Ugh, if there was only some way to force my brain to do whatever it takes to get to where I want to go.

I want the satisfaction of bringing a project to completion. Admitting it is the first step, yes?

4 comments:

  1. Dude, I think you are being much too much too hard on yourself! You are making big changes, and I think it's completely normal to have difficulties transitioning. Keep at it. I KNOW you are going to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But..but...I can't write a fricking 100,000 word novel in 3 1/2 weeks!!! ;))

    Thank you!! Can't wait to (hopefully) see you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Audrey that you're being too hard on yourself. When it comes to making big changes, I think it's natural to have a few setbacks. Just remember, you're in this for the long haul, and a few days won't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

    I have to remind myself of this, too. So I know where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SS: oops, sorry, I waited a few days to come back to this bloggie! And thank you! You're so right. I've done really well the last few days on all fronts, so I feel much better!

    ReplyDelete