Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Lion Sleeps Tonight -- NOT

I really can't resist this one! I figure i might be a bit busy this week with various things, like partying for my birthday (hey, I turn 41 on Wednesday, hear me roar loader than the lions in the movie I'm about to discuss) and work stuff and actually writing (yes, I've been doing that this weekend).

Prey





IMDB says: While working in a dam in Africa, the American hydraulic engineer Tom Newman brings his family to spend a couple of days in the Leopard's Rest Lodge. His fourteen year-old daughter Jessica is having friction with her stepmother Amy since she does not accept the divorce of her parents. On the next morning, Amy, Jessica and her brother David go in a game drive with a ranger while Tom goes to the dam. While driving off-road, David asks the ranger to stop the jeep to go to the "toilet", and unexpectedly they are attacked by a group of starving lions that kill and eat the ranger. Amy, Jessica and David are trapped in the jeep and stalked by the wild lions. When Tom returns to the hotel and finds that his family has not returned from the game, he asks for help to the experienced hunter and guide Crawford and together they seek Tom's family.

There is something just so primal about Man verses Nature. Or shall we say spoiled American teenagers verses hungry lions. I watched this movie a couple years ago, curled up with my cat. My cat and I were both rooting for the lions. There really isn't much else to say about this movie, quite honestly. Especially amusing is the scene when they are barricaded in the car and some people have already been eaten and scavenged by hyenas right in front of them and the stepmother is worried that the kids will tattle to her new husband that she smokes. Um, lady, I think that's the very least of your worries, mayhaps? Of course her lighter is what saves the day in the end, alas. For them. Poor lions.

Vacation Gone Wrong Factor: * * (the family was far scarier than the lions)

Did I Care About the Characters Factor: * (I'd be so mean if I put no stars, wouldln't I? Is this a pity star? I do believe it is...)

Verdict: * * (The lions were pretty cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment