Monday, September 12, 2011

Early Morning Spiders

I wake up early, and when I say early, I’m not talking about 6:00 a.m. or even 7:00 a.m. (yes, I know that’s early for a lot of people). I mean, my alarm goes off at 4:35 a.m., and believe it or not, I usually don’t wake up to it. I’m usually already awake when it goes off. And this morning, I was wide awake. So wide awake that I was convinced that I had overslept and that it was actually 6:30. Somehow the sky looked lighter than it usually is at 4:15 a.m.

So anyway, I was up and having my coffee with my laptop on lap by 5 a.m.

What should scamper across the floor right in front of me like it owned the place, but a HUGE spider. Yep, big enough to really think it should own the place, I’m sure. I know. September is the season for spiders galore, but it doesn’t make me like it any better. Still, it was no match for my shoe. RIP giant invader spider. May you get to eat small children plenty of bugs in spider heaven. That was my morning procrastination.

Speaking of procrastination, there’s this program called Self Control that I found some time during this past year. It’s a great program, although (edited to add, thank you, healthamateur), it is for Mac Users only. Fear not, as I am SURE there are similar programs out there for non-Mac users! You download the program and then you list a bunch of sites that you’re “black listing.” You pick the period of time that you want to be banned from the internet. It blocks you from all those sites, the sites you are addicted to. You get other stuff done. It’s awesome. It’s sort of like running, though. You have to actually get out the door for it to happen and in this case, you have to actually open the program. I done good today, though. I stayed off the internet until now.

Okay, for your daily dose of Vacations Gone Dreadfully Wrong, I bring you this true story:

Croc Kills Woman Years After Her Sister's Death

So, if you don’t want to click on the link, this woman got eaten by a crocodile while on holiday in India (while her boyfriend filmed it apparently) only a few short years after her sister had died in another freak accident while on a DIFFERENT holiday (of the mountain climbing variety). Now, not to make light of this since this family has got to be in some major unimaginable pain, but what are the odds? Seriously. What are the odds of two separate vacations in the same family going so terribly wrong?

4 comments:

  1. You should probably mention that SC is (sadly) a Mac-only programme.

    Scary spider story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! thanks! I hadn't considered that it was a Mac-only program, d'oh! Oh, well! I'm sure there are other programs out there for non-Mac users!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. A family of big hairy spiders has set up camp on my back deck. I keep begging my husband to kill them, but so far, he's slow to react. (Is it because he too is scared?) However, there was a big one by the front door today that I made him kill.

    Ugh. Spiders. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey -- Those spiders sound amazingly vicious and therefore must go! Perhaps your husband is right to feel cautious before he arms himself with cannons.

    ReplyDelete