Monday, March 19, 2012

Cooking around the world -- Myanmar (Burma)

So one of the things I thought I would do during my break is to pick a few random countries and cook a dish from them. This is not as formal as the blog that I think Pink Audrey talked about where someone cooked around the world on a regular basis. This is just sort of random and obviously I can't do this super regularly because of time factors.

So yesterday I made a dry shrimp curry from Myanmar (Burma).

I used this recipe:

Dry Shrimp Curry

I did add a few things. I added about a half can of straw mushrooms and a handful of bean sprouts, just to have some veggies in there. Also, when it said to blend the onion, garlic, and ginger, I knew my blender wouldn't be having any of that without some liquid, so I added a bit of chicken broth to the blender. I only had brown rice to serve it on, and as healthy as brown rice is, I don't really like it that much and it takes forever to cook. Eh. But whatever.

Here was the result:



It was not fantastic and I probably would tweak a few things (less broth, maybe add some coconut milk even though it's supposed to be a dry curry). But it was pretty good. I enjoyed eating it. It is all I have in memory since today is a fasting day for me, haha.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!! I love your spring break cooking plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, I probably won't be do much more, ironically, I seem to have run into a time issue (will be leaving town for a few days on Thursday!) :D

    ReplyDelete