Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Turistas Go Home

While I know I still need to do Part 2 of my writing history, my brain seems to be too fried to do so, and I will not really be home much the next few evenings. So I figure, a good vacation gone wrong movie review? Can't go wrong with that, right? ;D

And this one's a classic!

Turistas



IMBD says: A group of young backpackers' vacation turns sour when a bus accident leaves them marooned in a remote Brazilian rural area that holds an ominous secret.

I should point out that I watched this movie about 3 1/2 years ago very soon after I had first come back to the States after my own "vacation gone wrong" story, so I think this movie had a different effect on me than it might now or might have before. I was still high in PTSD mode, and yet I was seeking these kinds of stories out like crazy. Also, I was watching it while running on a treadmill in my parents' basement so the sound quality was not the best for me and I had to turn subtitles on. Which amused me to no end when it would say something like, "Babbling in Portuguese."

That being said, it was not the best of the genre, not the worst. The character development and ominous feeling at the beginning was pretty well done. Once we knew what was really going on and the terror really kicked in, it was actually kind of "eh whatever." Especially when the whole thing was REALLY about hot young people in bikinis/without shirts most of the movie. And yes, there is illegal organ transplanting going on. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that I'm pretty sure it wasn't the best portrayal of Brazilians, full of stereotypes and all galore (which is pretty typical in this genre, as I have pointed out a few times before).

Vacation Gone Wrong Factor: * * * (Getting my organs stolen does not a restful vacation make)

Did I Care About the Characters Factor: * * (I don't remember very well now, but I don't remember feeling disgusted by them so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt)

Verdict: * * * (When expectations are low and emotions are heightened and it's the only thing distracting you from an hour-long run on a treadmill, the flick did not disappoint)

No comments:

Post a Comment