Sunday, January 15, 2012

Of the magical hour...

So, I still haven't forgotten Part 2 of that Writing post, believe it or not. I am just easily distracted. And a really good procrastinator.

And I am thinking about something in particular that is related to writing. I actually used to get up at 4 a.m. on a regular basis to write. Insane you say? Okay, yes, I will give you that. Everyone I've told this to, writers and non-writers alike, looks at me in awe and then steps away as if it might be catching. Luckily, it's not something I've ever been consistent with. Apparently I like my warm, cozy bed at 4 a.m. too much. Even if I am already awake because a certain lynx point Siamese thinks it's party time at 3 to 4 a.m. (Yes, I regularly wake up with all his toys in my bed and him batting at my face. And it is 6:40 p.m. right now and he is zonked out. Therein lies the problem.)

Anyway, I noticed that I really do come up with my best ideas at 4 a.m. The writing can be downright otherworldly -- stuff I don't even remember writing later, as if I wrote it in my sleep. My inner editor is a late sleeper and can't be bothered to deride everything I write at that time. The problem is, very few of these brilliant ideas that I might get while lying in bed still are ever remembered beyond that time because I'm too lazy/incompetent/tired/whatever to actually record the idea in my phone or write it down. I am really stuck on a particular writing idea right now. I brainstormed like crazy on a 4-mile walk I took today. I got little glimmers of something, but not too much. My plan is to try this again at 4 a.m. tomorrow. Yes, on a day wheN I don't even have to get up early for work. Actually this is a better idea because I can always go back to sleep at a time that pleases my cat a bit more.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. The image of your kitty with all his toys in your bed is beyond adorable. I have to say it: awwwwww!!!!!

    Honestly, I wish the writing at 4:00 was contagious! I hope it worked out for you this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, it's been a struggle. That first night, totally forgot to set the alarm. Last night, I did, but oh, it was hard to get up, mainly because the thunder kept me up for a few hours before that, so I feel like I've actually been awake since 2:30 a.m. this morning.

      Yep, kitty toys are still in my bed! :)D

      Delete